Advanced Search
Advanced Search
we found 0 results

Your search results

Buyers from overseas

More and more Hawke’s Bay properties are being sold outside New Zealand shores.  The ability to market property overseas via the internet and, with the attraction of New Zealand’s clean, green image and New Zealand as a safe haven, more and more overseas people are looking to acquire property in New Zealand.

To control the sale of rural land to overseas buyers the New Zealand Government has rules in place, overseen by the Overseas Investment Office.

Land affected by these rules is deemed “sensitive” and comprises in simple terms; a parcel of land of more than 5 hectares or in the case of conservation land or sites of cultural interest etc. down to 0.4 hectares; land adjacent to these are also classified as “sensitive by association”.

In New Zealand you cannot buy any of the foreshore and seabed and certain islands.

So land falling outside these constraints is urban land and non urban land without association or under 5 hectares.

An overseas person is considered so, if they are not permanently resident in New Zealand or are not a New Zealand citizen, this also applies to companies, trusts etc where more than 25% of the entity is owned by overseas persons.  If you are interested in details on immigrating to New Zealand click here.

To purchase property over 5 hectares in size the application process takes at least 60 working days and costs in the region of NZ$8,500.

For details on frequently asked questions please click here.

About Hawke’s Bay

Hawke’s Bay is one of the top destinations for both national and international visitors with its strong Art Deco connections, top food and wine, fabulous weather and fantastic outdoor adventure destinations, the sandy beaches, wide rivers and remote ranges.  It’s no wonder people decide to stay!

Find out more about Hawke’s Bay:

New Zealand terminology

We generally categorise lifestyle properties into two groups, bare land and lifestyle (with a home).

Our legal system uses hectares to donate land area but many people are more familiar with acres, hence they are often both quoted.

The lifestyle sector deals with semi rural and rural land from half an acre/2000m2 to 100 acres/40 hectares.

Other comparable terminology used overseas would be:

Lifestyle properties

  • Country houses
  • Country estates
  • Residential farms
  • Farms
  • Equestrian
  • Estates
  • Farm houses
  • Country homes
  • Ranch
  • Hobby farms
  • Holiday homes
  • Cottages

Bare land for sale

  • Plots
  • Small holdings
  • Small blocks for sale
  • Acreage
  • Vacant land